An insight into the Formula 1 Trackside Aerodynamicist role
About this course
- 38 Lessons
- Approximate time to complete course: 11 hours
Trackside AerodynamicsSelf-Paced Course
- Lifetime Access to course materials
- Ask questions and get feedback from the instructor
- Earn an industry-recognised course certificate
- Learn at your own pace & watch lessons in any order
- Quizzes and assignments included
What You'll Learn
- Demonstrate an understanding in the topic of aerodynamic track testing and its objectives
- Demonstrate an ability to identify the most suitable instrumentation for aero data collection
- Demonstrate knowledge in the use of data analysis software to quantify aerodynamic performance
- Become familiar with the track side aerodynamicist role, and the common techniques used to analyse track data with the aim to improve overall car performance
- Introduction to aerodynamic track testing in Formula 1
- Objectives of an aero test
- Instrumentation used in aero experiments
- Aerodynamic data analysis
- Case study: analysing different aerodynamic setups of a race car
The course also includes career advice and a practical final assignment that models working as a trackside aerodynamicist in F1.
This course is for you if...
You are a student or professional with an interest in fluid dynamics theory and principles
You want to learn about current trackside aerodynamic testing trends in F1
You’re ready to boost your CV and want to start a career the realm of F1 aerodynamics
See what students have to say about this course
Meet your course instructor
Xavier currently works as an Aerodynamics Project Leader at Williams Racing Team developing aerodynamic components through CFD, wind tunnel and track testing activities.
With a Bachelor in Aeronautical Engineering and a Master’s in Aerospace Engineering from UPC Barcelona Tech, Xavier started his professional career in 2007 with a short stint at Seat Sport developing the aerodynamics of WTCC Seat Leon. He later joined the engineering and testing firm IDIADA, where he was involved in car aerodynamics for several automotive projects as a CFD engineer for 4 years.
In summer 2012, Xavier moved to the United Kingdom to pursue his dream of working in Formula 1. He worked at Marussia F1 Team as an aerodynamicist for over 2 years, before joining Williams F1 in 2014, where he still works today.
Xavier has worked with
Access Duration: Lifetime ⓘ
Duration for which video lessons, downloadables, quizzes and assignments will be made available from the time of enrolment.
Mode of Delivery: Online ⓘ
Lessons are managed by experienced course leaders leveraging online means.
E-mail support ⓘ
We provide support throughout the duration of the course.
A certificate will be awarded upon course completion so you can share your achievement with your network.
Interact with instructor ⓘ
Network with motorsport engineering professionals and receive the advice you are looking for.
Assignments and quizzes ⓘ
Impress your course leaders by excelling at the challenges they present to you.
Watch lessons in any order ⓘ
Start from the beginning or the end - you choose!
Assignment feedback ⓘ
Receive feedback from our course leaders so you can understand areas of improvement.
Keep in touch with Motorsport Engineer!
Join our mailing list to get the latest updates
Every course page has a section called “This course is for you if…”, detailing who the course is designed for. If you are unsure about a specific course, please get in touch with us at email@example.com and we will be happy to provide further guidance.
Required software is included upon course acquisition unless otherwise specified. Where needed, we provide installation instructions.
Every course page has a section describing the syllabus. Furthermore, the detailed curriculum is also publicly available.
Yes! A personalised certificate with your name and the course you completed will be provided once you successfully finish the course. This certificate is a great way to show what you have learnt from industry experts and allows you to differentiate yourself from other engineers or applicants in the sector.
Our courses can be accessed, depending on the price plan acquired, going from 2 months to lifetime access . This guarantees flexibility to the needs of every student.
If you are a group of students interested in one or more courses please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Networking is key for finding your way into any industry, and motorsport is no different. For this reason, we think that having the possibility to interact directly with instructors is vital. We have created a number of tools that will allow you to speak directly with our instructors during the course through our platform.
Keep in mind that asking interesting questions will help you stand out!
Job hunting can be a stressful process filled with uncertainty. To help with this, we offer a CV review package based on our years of experience applying for and working in Formula 1 and motorsport and our experience in recruiting the best talent for some of the top brands in the industry.
If you are interested in this private service offered on a case-by-case basis, please send us an email to email@example.com mentioning our CV review service and we will get back to you with all the information.
This is one of the most common questions we receive in our inbox.
There is no answer that applies to every single person, but here are some general tips to achieve your goal:
1. Complete the Introductory Course available for free on our platform. It will give you an overview of the motorsport industry.
2. Read our blog article “5 things every aspiring Formula 1 engineer should know“.
3. Browse our Motorsport Academy for any course that catches your attention on the topic that you want to specialise in.
4. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you require further assistance.